A Self-Drafted Top (aka Some Selfish Sewing)




Hey! Today is the last day of Selfish Sewing Week* and yesterday I finally managed to make something for myself. Yay! :) It was a whole "selfish day" kind of day actually, since I was alone at home most of it. Yes, no kids, no interruptions. Just me and my sewing machine. (and a house with a week load of laundry TBD... oh well, that could wait, right?)

Yesterday I woke up determined to make something for myself. I looked at a bunch of PDF patterns and I couldn't decide... I picked my drafting paper and tools and... I have self-drafted this top in the morning and sewn it in the afternoon. 





I am on a high sewjo lately. I.can't.stop.sewing. I am feeling that my lifetime is not enough to sew everything I want... So I feel like I could spend all my daily hours on my sewing machine, or cutting fabric, or taping patterns (yeah, even that...), or picking fabric and patterns to sew (I want to sew them all!)... 

I have drafted some basic slopes - bodice/top, skirt, trousers and dress - a few years ago with my own measurements, which haven't changed much over since. So, every time I want to draft a pattern I grab those slopes, copy them, and work on the alterations.

This top features some pleats at the neckline and wide 3/4 sleeves with an elastic hem. They were meant to be fully gathered at the armscye but I did not have enough fabric... It also features a keyhole closure (with one button + button loop) at the back and slits on the sides.





I picked this panel print woven (I think it is voile, not sure though) that I rescued from the remnant fabric bin of my local fabric shop, about one year ago. (For as little as USD$4. Yes, 4 not 40, you read that right.)) It kind of reminds me of nani IRO's amazing watercolor and painted fabric panels. 

I had a hard time choosing how to place the pattern pieces (front, back and two sleeves) on this print. I thought about making it with vertical lines at the front so it would be more flattering, but I think I like the back better because of its darker colors. But that yellow horizontal line would sit right at my mom-of-three belly and that wouldn't be flattering at all. :) I like the way the two sleeves ended up being so different though.



One of my sewing goals for 2015 (that I already shared here) is to go back to sew more for myself. My kids had 99% of my sewing time these last one and a half years resulting on them having a bigger and better wardrobe than me. I really need new clothes. So my specific goal to achieve this is to be able to sew at least one piece of garment per month for myself. So far so good. I am happy. But now I want more. :) So, next on the line, some trousers, a couple of new tops, a jacket and a coat.

What about you? Are you making yourself any clothes lately? Any great tested-and-approved patterns you recommend? I have been looking at some from Grainline Studio, Named and some amazing French designers such as République du Chiffon, Aime Comme Marie, and La Maison Victor. Have you sewn any from these?


Happy Sewing!


13 comments

  1. Que bom teres conseguido um dia só para ti! A blusa está linda e o tecido é maravilhoso. Eu ainda ando às voltas com a minha Marthe. Está semana não consegui ser muito selfish. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, the fabric is wonderfull indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esse tecido e qualquer coisa de espectacular... Adoro o TOP! Eu tambem queria ter participado na selfish sewing week, ate fiz uma camisa para mim. Mas nao consegui ter tempo para tirar fotografias!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosto tanto deste top!
    O modelo é muito fixe e adoro o estampado do tecido :)

    Fica-te mesmo muito bem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estás o máximo! Ainda bem que fizeste algo desenhado por ti, acredito que sabe mil vezes melhor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome on you! You are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That top is absolutely gorgeous...! My sewing skills arent good enough for me to sew something selfish, even if I had the time to acually do it...still have a lot of practice to do...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que top giro!! Fica-te lindamente e totalmente feito por ti :-) Parabéns!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super stunning top and I love to see your beautiful sewing on the close up photos. And that fabric is really phenomenal - yum!! And it suits you SO well!! Great job you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look awsome, I make me want to be more "selfish" in my sewing <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. That fabric is AMAZING!!!! What a bargain. The top is gorgeous, I can hardly believe you drafted and made it so quick. Handmade rocks! Just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep the sewjo! The top is fabulous. Love the fit, the fabric and the style. Totally worth leaving housework till later ;) So, should we sew a jacket together?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gaaah esse tecido! Lindooo! (escapou-me :P) A blusa está demais, quero ver mais do teu drafting!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you soon!